Saturday, January 14, 2012

Not what I expected


Yesterday, I took Lily to our pediatric dentist to get tortured her teeth cleaned.  Over the years, her anxiety has increased to an unmanageable level.  She kicks, hits, struggles, wails & cries while the dental hygientist tries to clean her teeth.  It is horrible to witness Lily so terrified especially when we literally have to pin her down.  She is in fight or flight mode and it gets worse every time we go.  Our dentist suggested sedation for Lily over a year or so ago, but we held off.  After discussing it with our dentist (who we really do love) again after the her last cleaning, we decided to go ahead and try it this time. They called it a conscious sedation.  I guess I didn't listen very well or maybe they didn't explain it very well, but I thought she would go to sleep and we would all just sit there calmly watching the hygientist clean her teeth thoroughly.  Hey, we might even actually get an x-ray or two.

That's not how it went down.  With Lily's heart history, her cardiologist requested they do a pulse ox during the entire procedure to monitor her.  Lily also had to have a massive dose of liquid antibiotics (16ML's or about 3 tsps) an hour before the procedure on an empty stomach.  Once we arrived, they took us to a room to check her weight, blood pressure and pulse ox.  Now, if you know Lily at all (and they do), you would probably assume if she flips out over a teeth cleaning then she probably would flip out about having her blood pressure taken.  No matter how nicely you word it ("it wants to give your arm a hug"), she's not going to cooperate.  So we get her nice and revved up before I even have to attempt to (force) get 13 ML's of grape Motrin and Versed mixed together down her throat.  She wouldn't have it.  So, to distract her I took her to the potty and then she was calm enough to gag down the drugs.  They told me it would take 30 minutes or so for the medicine to kick in so we sat in the room and waited.  Within 15 minutes, Lily started to lose her balance.  She started falling face first onto the floor looking completely drunk.  I tried to get her to lay back on their little bean bag, but she just kept trying to sit up and failed miserably.  Her low tone went from extreme to no tone at all.  She looked slack-faced and blank for the most part.  Her speech was extremely slurred.  It was pretty disconcerting to me to watch.  They finally came to take us back to the room about 40 minutes or so later.  I had to carry her 53.6 lbs of dead weight to the room and then lay her on a papoose board that is a nice way of saying modified straight jacket.  I was okay with the papoose board because it kept her on the table, but what I wasn't prepared for was how Lily was still awake, still freaking out and hysterical.  The only difference in my opinion was that she was weaker and more likely to aspirate on her saliva in her prone position.  I asked them to raise her head (which they did) and then sang every song I could think of to help try to calm her down.  After what seemed like an hour, they finally finished and I lugged her to the waiting room to put her coat on limp arms with everyone staring at her in horror. Definitely NOT a good scene for little kids to witness.

Once we were home, Lily couldn't walk and barely could sit up.  Her hip kept locking up (meaning she can't straighten her right leg unless she unlocks it herself) and it took several hours before she could walk normally again.  It was one of the worst experiences I've had to deal with and I won't be repeating it.  I'm thinking we will just take her in and deal with her fighting everyone once a year in the office unsedated. Then possibly schedule several little procedures in the hospital (blood draw, ear cleaning, thorough teeth cleaning, x-rays, etc) and put her under light general anesthetic similar to what she had when she had an upper GI done last year to get her other cleaning done.

I seriously hate anxiety and what it does to my beautiful sweet girl.
Share/Bookmark

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! I am so sorry you had to go through this. Last year Caleb(PDD-NOS) had to have cavities filled under general anethesia and he did not come out of it well at all. They called us back before he was fully awake because he was fighting the nurses. I was not prepared for that at all. But we didn't feel we had choice because he refuses to sit in the dental chair. Hopefully, things will go better next time.

Sara Dice (we adopted from For This Child, too)